Friday, November 18, 2011

Christmas, the "Gift Giving Season" is just around the corner. Some of you may have even completed all of your Christmas shopping & have your gifts already wrapped, waiting to be put under the tree after Thanksgiving.  I wish that were the case with me.  Every year I say I am going to have my shopping done before November so that I can enjoy doing the other things I want to do during the season. Things like baking Christmas cookies with my children,
Image from Joy of Baking

caroling, going to the Christmas parade and church activities etc., 



without the worry & hastle of fighting the shopping crowds. However, another November is flying by and I have not purchased the first Christmas gift.  Oh well, there's always next year!
Thinking about gifts and giving and loving on others, I was reminded today of an analogy that I heard many years ago from author and speaker Florence Littauer.  She says  
"Our words are to be like silver boxes with bows on top that we give to others".  

     I was listening to a recent podcast of Living With Joy which aired a 3 part series of Florence speaking on this subject.  Please, please, please click on the link and look for the past programs at Living With Joy and listen to the series.  Florence is such a gifted speaker and you will be greatly encouraged by this series.  You will laugh too if you listen to her!
Our words are so powerful.  The tongue has been described as the most powerful muscle in the body.  Our words can either build up or tear down.
 I don't know about you but I want to be a builder-up-er!!!  I want to give out little silver boxes with bows on top all day long!!!!
We have such tremendous potential to build people up and help others become who God wants them to be.   Start today!!!

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers . Ephesians 4:29

No comments: