Saturday, May 28, 2011

I love doing mission work. I remember the first time I ever heard about missionaries and the work they do in sharing the Gospel. I was 5 years old and in our church's mission friends class in what Southern Baptists once called Training Union. My teacher told a story about some ladies who were serving as missionaries in the deep of Africa where at the time it was believed that cannibalism was still being performed. We were asked to pray for the missionaries because some of the ladies were missing and no one knew where they were at the time. Even as a young child of 5 years old God tugged at my heart. I remember feeling so excited that I wanted to become a missionary and tell people about Jesus. I remember running to my mother as soon as class was over and wrapping myself around her legs and saying "Mama! Mama! I know what I want to be when I grow up! I am going to be a missionary!" Well, God had other plans for me than becoming a "career" missionary but I still have a huge heart for missions and for serving God in that capacity through various opportunities that have come my way in both serving and teaching missions. Below is a picture of me in the Philippines back in the summer of 1987. I spent 3 months there as a summer missionary with the Southern Baptist Convention. What a wonderful experience!

Summer missions in the Philippines 1987
I was thinking about this recently because my son's good friend is doing summer missions this summer.  She will be working in another country for most of the summer. What a wonderful experience it will be for her. I had the opportunity to tell her a little of what I experienced and I can hardly wait for her to come back home and hear all about her summer.
My son with his friend. Two great christian role models for their peers. Both plan to be missionaries.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: