Thursday, April 21, 2011

Have you sewn up the curtain?

I was listening to Nancy Leigh DeMoss this morning on the radio program Revive Our Hearts. ( I listen everyday...I love this program! You can listen here!) Nancy has been doing a series during the weeks that lead up to Easter on the Incomparable Christ.

 Today she was talking about the miracles of Calvary.  I was fascinated with what she said especially about the veil being torn.  Being a sewing enthusiast and a fabric lover, I was in awe as she described the veil and the embroidery that was on it and the thickness of it. Go here and read or listen to the desription. It is fascinating!  I know that I studied this in seminary, but I must have missed some of the details about the veil.  I just thought it was a heavy velvet like fabric but it was very obviously NO ORDINARY fabric.  Don't you love the fact that God's Word is living and there is always something new and fresh that you never noticed before?  I knew all about the veil being torn and what it meant but thinking about how Nancy taught on this subject today was very thought provoking.

  She went on to say that there is a tradition that says the priests sewed up the curtain and continued on as if nothing happened. Nancy Leigh DeMoss says, "if you're still trying to earn God's favor though your own sacrifice and good behavior . . . . then you're living like you've sewn up that curtain, as though no world-shaking event had ever taken place."  Nancy asks the question "Is that how we live? Have we sewn up the curtain as if nothing happened?".
We have access to the Father through Jesus.  Why do we put up barriers or sew the curtain back up, so to speak?  I am so thankful for what was done on Calvary for my behalf.  I know that there are times in my own life when I sew that curtain back up and act as if I can somehow earn God's favor through the way I serve, act,  sacrifice my time, etc.  Jesus said on the cross "It is finished."  So if we have sewn up the veil then we need to realize that God's Word is sharper than any two-edged sword (or seam ripper for that matter) and rip out where we stitched up the veil. We can enter by the blood of the Lamb! I love this song by the group TRUTH.

No comments: