Thursday, September 10, 2009

My family is very important to me. I was reminded recently of a time when I thought I would never have my own family. I was listening to Focus on the Family recently and was just overcome with emotion when I heard a story that aired. Part of the story could have been about me when I was a young girl. My parents divorced when I was 7 and my mother re-married a very abusive, alcoholic man. There was a time period that was so difficult for me as an 11-12 year old girl living in an abusive environment that I felt so alone. I had a horse that had also been abused by a previous owner. This horse was my best friend. I would go out to him and throw my arms around his neck and cry into his mane for hours. I longed for a normal family. I wondered if I would ever have a family of my own because the nightmare I was in seemed as if it would go on forever. I would cry and tell my horse all my heartaches and dreams. He would just stand there completely still while I poured out all my hurts and suffering to him. While I talked and cried and talked and cried, he would just stand there and not flinch a muscle. It was as if he knew and understood my pain, my fears, and my loneliness. He brought me so much comfort during a very dark time in my life. So when I heard the story about Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch and some of the stories that have come out of their ministry I was just overwhelmed. The owner of the ranch has authored several books about amazing things that have happened at the ranch. I identified so much with this story on focus on the family. I can testify to the fact that God can work in miraculous ways to bring about healing. He certainly used a horse in my life!

No comments: